Barcelona, Spain

Barcelona is the capital and largest city of Catalonia, Spain. It is home to approximately 1,600,000 people and is known for its sophisticated textile industry. While Barcelona is a thriving city, residents may be looking for the next opportunity in the United States.

It’s important to know the United States has a complicated immigration process. Most applicants must endure a lot of paperwork, long waiting periods and may have to attend visa interviews. The process is so intricate that the majority of applicants make mistakes on their application and one error could hinder your immigration plans for months.

If you or someone you know is wishing to immigrate to the United States, it’s imperative you contact an experienced immigration attorney.

Attorney for Barcelona in The Woodlands, Texas

In 2017, the United States granted 1,127,167 immigrants lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. You may be able to join this statistic by calling attorney Luis F. Hess. Luis F. Hess, PLLC is an experienced law firm with a strong focus in immigration law. Managing attorney Luis F. Hess has years of knowledge in immigration law and can help you achieve your desired status.

Contact us today at (281) 205-8540 and schedule a free consultation. Luis F. Hess can assist you with your application, analyze it for errors and help you immigrate smoothly. We accept clients throughout the greater Montgomery County area including Oak Ridge North, Houston, Conroe, Shenandoah and The Woodlands.

Overview of U.S Immigration Process for Barcelona

Back to top

United States Immigration Statistics for Spain  

Unfortunately, not everyone is granted entry into the United States. All countries are assigned a per-country limit, which restricts the number of visas issued each year. These per-country limits are based on the visas available that fiscal year. Planning your immigration efficiently will significantly increase your chances of entering the U.S.

Listed below are some statistics of people immigrating to the United States from Spain in 2017. 

  • 3,045 people from Spain were granted lawful permanent resident status;
  • 1,127,167 were granted lawful permanent resident status;
  • 1,469 people from Spain were naturalized;
  • 707,365 people were naturalized;
  • 1,143,548 people from Spain were granted nonimmigrant visas; and
  • 77,643,267 people were admitted with a nonimmigrant visa 

Back to top

How to Get Citizenship Through Naturalization in the U.S

One of the most frequent paths to citizenship is through naturalization. If you have lived in the U.S. for at least five years, you could qualify for naturalization with an Application for Naturalization or Form N-400. You’re eligible for naturalization if you: 

  • Are at least 18 years old;
  • Have held a green card for five years;
  • Lived in the U.S. or a USCIS district for at least three months before applying;
  • Were physically present in the U.S. for 30 continuous months out of the 5 years;
  • Have the ability to speak, write or read English;
  • Understand and have knowledge of the U.S government and history; and
  • Have a good moral character and uphold the principles of the U.S. constitution.

You can also qualify for naturalization through a family member or spouse. If you don’t meet the requirements above, you may be eligible if your family is a U.S. citizen or has LPR status. You can qualify for naturalization through if you have:

  • A green card for 3 years during your marriage to a U.S. citizen;
  • Your spouse if they served in the U.S. armed forces and meet eligibility requirements; or
  • Your parent or parents if they are a U.S. citizen. 

Back to top

Employment-Based Visas in the U.S.

You may be immigrating to the United States for a business-related reason. If this is the case, then you may be interested in an employment-based (EB) visa. EB visas are for both temporary workers and permanent workers. Employment-based immigration works on a preference system. All preferences have their own requirements, procedures and sometimes differing forms.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a permanent EB visas.

  • Fifth Preference (EB-5) – This preference is for business investors who want to start a commercial enterprise in the U.S. The business must have at least 10 full-time U.S. workers.
  • Fourth Preference (EB-4) – EB-4 visas are solely for special immigration classifications such as religious workers, foreign minors who are wards of the U.S and retired employees of international organizations.
  • Third Preference (EB-3): This preference is reserved for skilled workers, professionals and other workers.
  • Second Preference (EB-2) – This category is for people with advanced degrees or have exceptional abilities in science, business or art.
  • First Preference (EB-1) – EB-1 visas are reserved for people with extraordinary abilities in athletics, business, education or science.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a temporary EB visas. 

  • E-1 – Treaty Traders and qualified employees;
  • E-2 – Treaty investors and qualified employees;
  • E-2C – Long-term foreign investors;
  • E-3 – Certain specialty occupation professionals from Australia;
  • H-1B1 – Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation from Singapore/Chile;
  • H-1B2 – Certain specialty occupations for the Department of Defense Cooperative Research and Development projects or Co-production projects;
  • H-1B3 – Certain fashion models of distinguished ability and merit;
  • H-1C – Registered nurses if the U.S. Department of Labor determined a health professional shortage;
  • H-2A – Seasonal or temporary workers;
  • H-2B – Non-agricultural workers;
  • H-3 - Trainees other than medical and academic professions;
  • I – Representatives of foreign film, press, radio or other media;
  • L-1A – Intracompany transferees for either managerial or executive positions;
  • L-1B – Intracompany transferees with specialized knowledge;
  • O-1 – People with extraordinary abilities in science, art, education, athletics, motion picture, TV production or business;
  • O-2 – People coming to the U.S to solely help an O-1 nonimmigrant;
  • P-1A – Internationally famous athletes;
  • P-1B – Internationally famous entertainers or members of an internationally recognized entertainment group;
  • P-2 – Individual performer or part of a group entering the U.S for a reciprocal exchange program (student exchange programs);
  • P-3 – Entertainers or artists who are coming to the U.S to perform, teach or coach under a culturally unique program;
  • Q-1 -People participating in an international cultural exchange program so they can attain practical training, employment and to learn U.S. history, culture and traditions;
  • R-1 – Religious workers; or
  • TN – Professionals from Mexico and Canada

Back to top

Family-Based Visas in the U.S.

Another way to receive a visa is through your family members. If you have family who are U.S. citizens, they may be able to sponsor you. Both you and your sponsor will be required to fill out paperwork and show proof of your relationship. In addition, family-based visas also work on a preference system. Each preference has its own eligibility requirements and procedures. 

Your sponsor must fill out an I-130 or Petition for an Alien Relative and have proof of the following:

  • Their status as a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen;
  • You’re related to your sponsor through documentation such as a birth certificate; and
  • Any relevant legal name changes if applicable

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a family-based visas. 

  • Fourth Preference (F4) – This preference is for sisters and brothers of a U.S citizens. The citizen must be at least 21 years old.
  • Third Preference (F3) – Married daughters and sons of U.S. citizens can apply for a F3 visa.
  • Second Preference (F2B) – This category is for unmarried daughters and sons who are at least 21 years old of lawful permanent residents.
  • Second Preference (F2A) – Unmarried children under the age of 21 and spouses of lawful permanent residents qualify for F2A visas.
  • First Preference (F1) – Daughters and sons who are 21 years old or older of U.S. citizens are eligible for a F1 visa.

Back to top

U.S. Consulate General Barcelona

There is no U.S. embassy stationed in the city of Barcelona. However, there is a U.S. consulate which represents the U.S government. The consulate is unable to issue visas but may give you important information you need to immigrate to the United States. 

You can locate the U.S consulate in Barcelona at:

U.S. Consulate General Barcelona

Paseo Reina Elisenda de

Montcada, 23

08034 Barcelona, España

Phone: (+34) 93 280 22 27

Fax: (+34) 93 280 61 75

While you can’t obtain a visa at the U.S. consulate, you may be able to at the U.S embassy in Madrid. At the embassy you can receive detailed information about available visas, attend a visa interview and more. It may be beneficial for you to take a quick train or car ride to Madrid, so you are one step closer to receiving a visa.

You can locate the U.S. embassy in Madrid at:

Calle de Serrano, 75

28006 Madrid, Spain

Phone: (+34) 91-587-2200

Fax: (+34) 91-587-2303

Back to top

Additional Resources 

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) – Visit the official website for USCIS to learn more about the various paths to U.S. citizenship. Access the site to learn about green cards, naturalization, immigration statistics and more.

U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona – Visit the official website for the U.S. Embassy and Consulate in Spain and Andorra. Access the site to learn more about their services, Consul General Robert Riley and resources for people interested in U.S. citizenship.

Back to top

Lawyer for Barcelona Immigrants in Montgomery County, Texas

If you or someone you know is interested in immigrating to the U.S., it’s vital you contact skilled immigration attorney. The United States immigration process is incredibly complicated. Any mistake can derail your plans of immigrating to the U.S. Don’t take any chances and call Luis F. Hess, PLLC.

Luis F. Hess is a skilled lawyer who comes from a family of immigrants. He’s passionate about helping others using his knowledge of immigration law. Attorney Luis F. Hess can assist with your application, evaluate it for errors and file it correctly. Start the first step of your path to citizenship with Luis F. Hess, PLLC.

Call us now at (281) 205-8540 for a free consultation. Luis F. Hess, PLLC accepts clients throughout The Woodlands including Panorama Village, Conroe, Houston and Oak Ridge North.

Back to top

What Our Clients Say
Read More